10 Amazing Facts About Shipping
Shipping as prevalent today than it has ever been as the primary facilitator of world trade.
- If all the containers in the world were to be lined up on one ship, that ship would stretch half way around the planet.
- Shipping accounts for a mesmerising 90% of world trade.
- A ship engine has a stunning one-thousand times more power than a family car
- Germany, Japan and Greece have the world’s biggest fleets.
- On average, only 2-10% of containers are actually inspected.
- Shipping is still the greenest method of transport.
- At present, there are around 1.5 million sailors employed globally, with the Philippines producing the highest number of seafarers.
- At present, there are currently around 55,000 active merchant ships.
- The largest ships cost over US$200 million to construct.
- Ocean Freight in manipulated by 12 carriers. The main ones are MSC, Maersk, Evergreen, CMA-CGM,China Shipping, Cosco, o Hapag-Lloyd.